A few months ago we caught wind of a few rumours revolving around the existence of a PS4.5 or 4K or ‘Neo’ as we eventually found it to be allegedly codenamed.
Now, Andrew House, president and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment has told the Financial Times that a “high-end” PS4 is very much in development, however will not be shown at the upcoming E3 conference.
The TL;DR of the interview is this:
- The Neo will be more expensive than the current PS4.
- Sony will continue selling both consoles through this generation. The Neo will not replace the current PS4.
- The Neo will be for the most hardcore PlayStation fans, with the ability to support 4K video output and a smoother experience for PSVR later this year.
- The Neo will not have exclusive titles
- “All games will support the standard PS4 and we anticipate all or a very large majority of games will also support the high-end PS4,”
We also know from Giant Bomb’s report on the Neo that the Neo versions of upcoming PS4 games may not have Neo exlusive features, but it allowed to iterate upon features present in the Standard PS4. For example, local multiplayer cannot be restricted to the Neo version of the game, however if the Standard version features two-player local multiplayer, the Neo version may support more than two player local multiplayer.
Although we will see none of the Neo at the upcoming E3 conference, it is a very exciting times for sole, or even majority PS4 gamers.
We’ll keep you posted with more details as they happen!